Saturday, April 14, 2012


I did not progress on my Peasy sweater at all this week. In fact, after I finally reached the point where I had to start the lace, I made a mistake, and tink-ing it made it worse, and I am now not even there yet, and I have no idea on how to get the right amount of stitches per raglan section again. That was quite embarrassing, because I attended a knitting evening in Québec City this week (Tricothé, which can be translated as knitea) with a group a found on Ravelry. The members are quite the knitters, and I was looking forward to knit with people who are interested in different designers, yarns and who understood the social aspect of knitting...unfortunately, I made my mistake on my way to the coffee-place where we met, and spent my whole evening tinking...So between that, and the socks that I didn't even try to start again this week, let's just say it was another poor knitting week for me. I think I need to work on projects at the same time, so I always have something to get to in these situations.

Fortunately, I was able to finish my latest item on the loom, and to start another one. I'm very lucky to have a man who helps me a lot with my bobbins (actually, he pretty much did all of them, so far...). I think it might have more to do with the fact that he is getting more and more stressed about soon having to either move a warped loom, or face a completely hysterical girlfriend who will not have finished to weave everything before the move than just being nice...but I might be wrong, because he is in fact very nice, supporting and interested in what I try to make.

So the new pattern looks like this:

The reason why the coloured rows are larger than the the ones that are warped is that I'm using a tread that is larger than the warped ones to weave. Why? hum, not really sure, that's what I was told to do by my weaving teacher, who came shopping with me. So everything has been weaved with a 2/8 tread on a 2/16 warp (I may sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I don't so I may well be doing the opposite...).
Anyway, because I only bought the thinnest coloured treads, I need to double them to weave with them. Not a big problem, I went to the Farmers' Circle Hall, where we have a few looms and some other equipment for weaving, and with the help of a more experienced weaver, I made a bobbin with 2 green treads.

That was last Sunday, right before we had a "brunch-o-puces" ("flea-market-brunch"). We invited all members to come for a brunch, and told them that if they wanted to clean their stash closet, it was the right time! So over a dozen of us showed us with treasures to be sold, given or exchanged.

I scored BIG!

First, right on time before a made too many bobbins, someone gave me that:
no need to double anything anymore!
and I also got this (so exciting!):
for future thrum objects...
I think I mentioned that I took a crochet course last month. I am not a fast learner, so at the end of the course, I did not feel very good, maybe just a little bit more comfortable with the crochet hook and a few basic stitches. But I've been wanting to practice with an easy project, and I've also realised this afternoon when I thought of writing here that I did not have much to present, so I looked for an easy pattern, and after a few tries, found one for a flower. And ta-da, here is my first crochet FO:

It's from this web site. I think I was able to make it because the pattern is not written in a very usual way...but it worked for me! Of course, I need to work on my tension, but given that the yarn had no elasticity at all, and that it was the first time I was making doubles (did not get there in my course), I'm pretty happy, and oh, the possibilities I can see ahead of me...

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment